Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Goodness how time flies

Here I am again. Day after tomorrow my Kyrgyz Adventures are officially over (for now, anyway). This summer went by fast. I guess everything adds up quickly when you're counting. Today Yulya and Olia invited me to a networking event for AIESEC at the American University of Central Asia. It was some kind of conference organized by Opera (the net browser people), and a bunch of local student organizations and businesses were invited. That's where I met Chee, a new member of the AIESEC Kyrgyzstan MC (national staff). Chee is from Malaysia, and she's been in Bishkek for about a week, so I offered to show her around the city a bit.

Chee is in culture shock mode right now; she isn't all too fond of this place yet. She reminds me a lot of me two months ago. Was I that whiney though, when I was new? I can't really be too hard on her - after all she's just adjusting. But it's strange for me to look back and remember how angsty and uncertain everything was at first. Now I feel like I belong here – I’m getting ready to leave, and wondering how long it will be before I can come back.

And I will come back. Why? Because if I don't then it will be like this was just some vacation. And to me it was more than that. Why else? Well because they asked me to. My host mother and my friends in AIESEC, and my students and the other teachers I worked with... They all want to know the same thing: "Will you come back to Kyrgyzstan?" And to each person my answer is the same, "Yes, I think I will. I like this place. Maybe next summer or fall, after I graduate. It all depends on if and when I can afford a plane ticket, but I promise you will know when I'm in town."

I had a good summer. I can't pretend though that I'm not ready to leave. I'm at a good stopping point, because I’m beginning to outgrow my place here. At this moment I play a few different roles: That of a traveler, that of a teacher, that of a guest... As a guest, I think I'm ready to move out. While I'm hugely grateful to my host family for all they’ve taught me, next time I come to KG I will probably rent a flat with friends - for all the same reasons that I prefer to live away from home in Texas. I'd rather not have to answer to anybody about where I'm going and when I'll be back, or whether my behavior will affect some sort of family unit. I like the freedom of being young and unattached, and I like taking responsibility for myself.

Mama, Aida, Kanykei and Akmaral have shown me a more traditional Kyrgyz life, the kind that most travelers never get to experience first-hand. I've eaten all the national Kyrgyz foods, and even had the chance to entertain guests the way real Kyrgyz people do. They've shown me how to feed myself and how to cook a little. They've helped me learn some of the nuances of cleaning that would have baffled me before (like how to sweep the carpet, since there’s no vacuum cleaner). I would not have been able to learn these things as easily if I'd lived with students this summer. So again, I’m grateful for my living situation this summer. And most importantly, I've gained a family. Another one. I think now I’m up to three?

As a teacher, I’m anxious to get home and get trained up. Most people study theory then do their practice. For me things happened the other way around. I've been running out of lessons for my talking clubs lately, and I want an opportunity to study and practice English in another capacity. I want to talk to other teachers, read websites, build my repertoire. I want to learn things in other contexts that I might one day apply back to this one.

I’m also ready to go home and start working on recruitment for English teaching internships in Bishkek. I want to get started on the assignment Kanybek and Jeff have given me: find us more American interns. I'll essentially be building up my own mini exchange program, or else figuring out how to do this through AIESEC without letting it drag everything down. Recruiting through AIESEC would make the entire process slower, more expensive, and more frustrating for everyone involved (versus just recruiting directly for American Courses). But having the backing of an international organization will boost my credibility AND that of MK International. Either way I’ll have to get to work talking to the International Studies Department, Study Abroad Office, Russian Language Department, Student Life… I'd like to try my hand at networking and selling.

As a traveler? I need to move on to a more realistic lifestyle. For example, if I’m going to work and live in a foreign city, I need to speak the language. When I came here I thought I would just absorb Russian like fresh air or something. But it’s turned out to be a lot tougher than that, and it's starting to get embarrassing that I can't communicate in the local language. I mean I've picked up a lot of vocabulary here and there, and I can now read and spell with the cyrrylic alphabet, but that's about it. In order to gain some understanding of grammar, and how to make this language functional in my life, I need some sort of structure – I need a teacher who knows what they’re doing, and books, and stuff like that. At home I’ll have easier access to that kind of thing. Or if not, then the Peace Corps will teach me Russian…

Also, I need to start seriously considering how to budget myself. This summer I didn’t have to worry about money at all. Living in a host home meant I didn’t have to pay rent, and I hardly ever had to buy food. I made money from my job, but not enough to actually support myself if I needed to. So all my earnings, plus the money I brought with me, went directly to shopping, souvenirs, hanging out at cafes and clubs, and other frivolities. For a summer that’s fine, but if I ever plan to spend more than three months in Kyrgyzstan I’ll have to consider my financial options.

Oy, so much to think about! And HOLY CRAP will this be a cool year, after I do get back to the States. I’m gonna graduate next spring – soon I’ll be a real grown-up. It’s exciting, thinking about what comes next. I have a good solid group of friends in College Station, and a good solid set of interests and activities. I’m well connected in both Houston and Austin, I have decent grades, I will get my Aggie ring, I’ll be turning 21 soon. Everything is in place for me to make this year really count. And I’ve got a plan, I’ve got options. I have so many directions I can go with my life, and this summer has only focused my sights.

All in all, I’m thinking positive. My next several posts will include pictures (I’ve taken somewhere close to 400), and lists (‘irritating things about Kyrgyzstan’, ‘what I’ve learned’, and ‘memorable moments’). I realize that towards the second half of this summer I kinda quit talking about specific experiences, and tended to take a more reflective tone with these posts. That’s why I want to give you guys photos and lists. You’ll have the opportunity to take a scan and say, “That. What happened there? Tell me the story with that?”. Then I can fill you in :)

I can’t wait to see all you guys! I can’t wait to eat hamburgers again! I can’t wait to drive a car and go to the mall! BAH I’m so excited!

Tune in later amigos.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Finnman said...

Can't wait for you to come back. Have a safe trip home on Friday. Call us when you get some rest from the jet lag. We love you.

Matt, Todd, & Audra

Anonymous said...

Hehe, guess what! We mite get to helpyou move!!!-Emma!!!

Unknown said...

NEWS FLASH - Alicia's flight leaving Bishkek was cancelled! No details on alternate arrangements yet. Nothing I can do for her from here anyway. Stay posted and keep her in your prayers. I'm sure getting the alternate flights arranged will be a real challenge!

Unknown said...

Leaving London today and will arrive home about 3:40pm CDT terminal D. She's almost home!!!