Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Hello nice to meet you

First of all, I want to apologize for going so long without a post. It's been what, two, three weeks? More? I can't count. A lot has happened since the last update, and maybe if I have time later I'll go back and tell some stories. But for now I have something else to say. There are a handful of people whom I've become quite fond of over the last six weeks. With or without language barriers, it's tough to spend 45 days around the same people without coming to regard some of them as sincere friends. So I want to take a moment to introduce you all to the main players in my Kyrgyz life:

[AT HOME]

Aida

Aida is my fifteen year-old host sister. When I first got here she was somewhat shy with her English. Since then she's either come out of her shell, or her speaking has just improved, but I'm glad for her company. She cooks most of the family meals and is usually the one who makes sure Akmaral eats her food and cleans up her toys. She hangs out with me when I don't have anything to do. Sometimes we walk around, or go to the park or sauna together, or go out for ice cream. Inside the house she's my most constant companion and closest confidante.

Akmaral

This is my seven year-old host sister. She is young and enthusiastic and she reminds me of a puppy, because she is CONSTANTLY soliciting my attention. "Alicia!" she always says - then the moment I look up from what I'm doing she holds up a picture she drew, or makes a funny face that I'm supposed to laugh at. I get this all day long. It's only cute when I'm not busy. Right now one of Akmaral's front teeth is loose, and she very stubbornly refuses to touch or use it at all because she doesn't want the tooth to come out. It's sort of funny, because since there's no root left it sits in her mouth kinda crooked, and it gives her one of those funny crooked-loose-tooth smiles that only seven year-olds have.

Kanykei

Kanykei is the oldest daughter, and she is out and about the most often. When she is in the house though she's nice to be around. She likes to look at my photos and the souviniers I've bought to bring home. Kanykei always laughs and teases me when I try to speak Russian, and although she hasn't any English and we don't share much in the way of conversation, she is the most affectionate of my host sisters.

Gulia

My host mother has pretty much adopted me into the family. When I told her my flight home was scheduled for August 8th, she responded, "Why so soon?" You'd think that having a guest in the house for three months would get annoying, but she treats me just like a daughter. One of the last things I do before I go to bed each night is have tea with her, usually after everyone else is asleep. We sit and talk about our jobs and what we did that day. She sometimes reminisces about when she was in America, and she tells me about Kyrgyz politics or history. It's really nice. She keeps asking me when I'm coming back to Kyrgyzstan (after this summer)

[AT WORK]

Kanybek

Kanybek is the director of "American Courses", the MK International branch that I work for. He has sort of taken responsibility for me. When I first came here it was he who took me out and showed me around. He's the one who helped me renew my visa, and he always makes a point to ask how I'm doing and if everything is okay with my host family. I think Kanybek is about 26.

Artom

He is the secretary/administrator at the main office. He doesn't say much, but I like him. He's pretty good friends with Jeff and Kanybek, so he hangs out with us whenever I drop by to say hello, or to make copies from the teacher file for my classes.

Jeff

Jeff is really a cool guy. He goes to the American University of Central Asia, which I guess is where he got such good English. When I talk to Jeff I forget I’m in another country. We chat, we laugh, we talk about movies… and on occasion he and I will have dinner together at a cafĂ©, or go walking. He’s a genuinely cool guy, and it’s a shame we don’t spend time together more than once or twice every couple weeks.

Marat

He's a lot of fun. This guy has never had any formal English education but somehow he's picked up quite a lot of words here and there, perhaps from Kanybek and the other people at work. Marat's grammar is terrible but he's not at all shy to use English. He just talks and talks, making jokes or telling stories or explaining things to me about Kyrgyzstan. Marat handles all of the documents and finances for American Courses, and he drives me to and from work every day. I love Marat, he's got a lot of personality and he's a very cool guy.

Rosa

Rosa is Marat's wife, and she's probably about the cutest thing ever. She's one or two years younger than I am, and extremely pregnant. Rosa works as an administrator/secretary for the MK International office I teach at (there are two in Bishkek, the one where I work and the main office in the center of the city). Sometimes she and I walk down to Orto Sai Bazaar together after classes while Marat does paperwork. Rosa’s a really good shopping buddy.

Nordika

Nordi is the the new guy who was hired to take over for Rosa when she has her baby. I think Marat is rubbing off on him, because he didn't talk to me hardly at all at first, but now he doesn't hesitate to chat about this or that in his half English/half Russian. He’s plugged himself into the clique of Me/Marat/Rosa really well, and when there’s a break between classes we all walk down to the supermarket and buy snacks for eachother. Then we sit around and eat for a few minutes, passing a bottle of coke between us.

Bermet

This is the grammar teacher at my school. Each day the students alternate between grammar and talking club, one day with Bermet, one day with me. Bermet is a FLEX alumnus, so she has a unique understanding of American culture. She is one of the only people I know here who understands stuff like alternative music, and chapstick, and other things that just aren’t too common in this culture.

[AIESEC]

Begaiym

Bega is the link between AIESEC and my home life. I live with her aunt and cousins, you see, so I see her around even when I’m not doing AIESEC related stuff. She’s done a lot to make sure that I’m doing okay here. When I was still new and didn’t know how to get around the city, she always made sure to come pick me up for @ meetings and social activities. Bega was also the OCP (organizing committee president) for the childrens’ human rights project I was brought here to help work on – until, that is, she started having some health/personal problems that forced her to reinquish involvement.

Yulia

Yulia is another member of the Save the Future OC team. She’s got sort of a firm, down-to-business way about her that I really appreciate in meetings. She’s also one of the very few people I’ve met here who has a good command of the word ‘Fuck’. I enjoy working with Yulia because I always know she’s serious about what she’s doing in AIESEC.

Vadim

Vadim is a somewhat strange dude, but I like him. He’s made a real effort to help me out with simple challenges like going to the post office. Vadim has been in AIESEC for a few years and many from the current generation don’t know him that well, which I think is too bad. He has a lot of AIESEC knowledge and experience that the others could benefit from if only they’d ask.

Anisa

She’s a very sweet girl who I also know from the Save the Future project. She and her boyfriend, Asiem, are one of those really great couples – the kind that are somewhat affectionate and obviousy enjoy each other’s company, but they aren’t sickening to be around, and they don’t completely ignore everyone else while the other is nearby. One time when I commented on one of her skirts, Anisa took me shopping at a department store called Sela. She ran all around the store picking things out for me and looking for stuff in my size while I was in the dressing room. Anisa is good to talk to, and she always makes me smile.


Of course there are many, many people that I haven't mentioned– more kids from AIESEC, other teachers and students from work, plus family friends and frequent guests in my host home... But these are all the important ones who I see on a regular basis.

It was somewhat strange to realize recently that I’ve been here for six weeks now, and that there are only four to go. I missed the halfway mark completely – I suppose I just quit counting after week three or four. I do still think about Texas and the people at home, but I’m also starting to mediate on the things in Bishkek that I’ll miss after I leave. Like sitting down to drink tea four or five times a day, or running down to the corner underground to buy notebooks and samsa (imagine a hot pocket crossed with chicken pot-pie), or even (gasp!) cramming myself into a minibus with God knows how many other strangers in order to get around the city. Without a doubt though, I’ll miss the people the most; and I sincerely hope I’m able to see them again after this summer.

Tune in later amigos :)

10 comments:

Mary said...

It is so good to hear from you!
I miss you very much.
these all sound like such dear people.
I still communicate with my ost family from Japan. Even after 8 years.

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you.

Scott Medlin

Anonymous said...

It will be heartbreaking for you to leave Bishkek. It and the people have had a powerful effect on you.

I wonder if we will be able to measure up?

Regardless...we miss you bunches and can't wait for you to return to Texas!

Love ya, Mom

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Finnman said...

Hey cuz, we are so proud of you! It sounds like you are meeting some great people and really making a difference in their lives. Can't wait for you to come home.

Love,
Matt, Todd, Audra, & Marcus

Anonymous said...

thats so awesome alicia :)

Unknown said...

I am SO glad that you finally got the package!!! Sorry we couldn't talk longer tonite. I hope you are taking plenty of pictures. Buy a new card for the camera or thumbdrive if you need to. Can't wait to see the pix and to see you!!!

Love ya, Mom

Anonymous said...

Alicia,

Isn't it amazing that all these wonderful and interesting sounding people have come so quickly to become such an important part of your life?!? Half way around the world no less. I see many more travels in your future. We love your posts. Keep them coming, far more people than you see here are reading them. We miss you tons and your very proud of your courage and drive.

Aunt Sally and da' boys ...

Anonymous said...

Ali-- I'm so glad you wrote about all the people you have met. In some of your other posts I was getting confused with all the names. Now I have a reference to who they are and what they do. It is quiet here. I just got back from a trip to Austin. I was an animal sitter for Susan, Steve, and Emma when they went to visit sally etc in California. Susan was really worried about Sadie the dog, as she is an older dog ( 13 years) with arthritis and couldn't stay out in the heat all day (over 100 degrees every day) I figured if she could take care of me when I was sick or needed her ,then I could take care of her pets so she could go on a vacation. I think they had a good time and I did too. Mary came by every evening after work and so I wasn't lonesome. I'll write more in an E-mail to you next week. I miss you , so hurry home. GM dearest.